Morning workouts are a drag. It can be helped by having someone to meet or a class to attend; but when it is just you and your plan, the failure rate increases. This morning as I lay in bed for 2 minutes after my alarm went off at 4:30, I realized the best argument that I can’t win against. There is no other option. When there is no other option to get your work out done you have no choice but to get up and get it done. This is easy to accept for me with the pool. There are limited times to get in the pool so I can’t miss those opportunities. But I find it easier to talk myself out of the mornings for biking and running because I think I can get them done at night. Then I have kids to manage at night so that means I am sometimes working out until 9-10 PM.
So now my mantra is, “There is NO other option”. Once you accept that, getting going is much easier.
A few other tricks I have found that help get it done in the morning:
- Lay out all your kit the night before
- Prep your bike the night before (put it on the trainer, cue up your viewing on Netflix, or load up the Sufferfest Video you are going to do)
- Prep your work stuff the night before
- Pack your car with your swim gear and work clothes if necessary
- Pre-make the kids lunches
- Tell your significant other to kick you out of bed when the alarm goes off