Two weeks ago I went out to do an 18 mile run in training for the Boston Marathon. After 10 miles I was having a lot of pain in my left knee from a problem with my IT band/peroneal muscle. I stopped after 13.1 miles (I was doing a half marathon) and my knee locked up. I decided to cut the run short and skip the last 5 miles. I ran easy the next week and then went out to try and run 15-17 miles on Saturday. After 7 miles my knee hurt and by 10 I could tell I was altering my gate to compensate for the pain and that was going to mess up my other side so I stopped again.
Boston has been a dream of mine for a very long time. I have already given up on the thought of a PR at Boston this year. All I want is to have a solid comfortable run. At this point, I am not sure even that is possible. If this progresses like my other IT band did last year I just don’t see how I will be able to run the marathon in April.
So here is my plan. For the next 4 weeks I will do all the activities I know I should to try and rehab the IT band. This includes a lot of pelvic girdle strengthening exercises, foam rolling, and stretching. I will keep trying to run until the pain is too bad I have to stop. If at the end of the next 4 weeks I can run 18 miles knee-pain free, I will keep training for Boston. If I get to that point and I can’t, I think I will pull out.
I know some of you may not agree with this but here is why I might do that. I know I will/can qualify again for Boston. I truly believe that. I really don’t want to spend all my time and a bunch of money going to a race that I know will be very painful and disappointing. I really hope that in four weeks I can report that I am ready to finish the training, but for now I am not so sure…